Saturday 17 January 2015

Catching up

These days, there is little time to pause and think. The days and nights seem to meld as I check off as Done-Done-Done the ceaseless endless list of tasks to be accomplished.

A day off in the midst of all this was all I needed. To pause and feel the sand under my feet. To feel tired, and sad and joyful again. To stop feeling impatient, and just allow time to dawdle along, with nowhere to go and nothing to achieve. Just to be.

Eckhart Tolle's Stillness Speaks helped me remember to breathe in and enjoy the moment.

I'm also reading The Tao of Physics by Fritjof Capra, in which he draws a parallel between the principles of quantum physics and the mysticism of many religions, and the concept of we are all one.

So much is happening in the world as I live in this cocoon with my books and the never ending deadlines. These are times of war and extremism. Millions of people are displaced. Millions hungry. Millions cold.

In India, change is slow to come in many ways. Watch this DW documentary on Sexual Violence.
Who is accountable? Who should be punished? Who pays?
Hats off to the people who fight for light and right.

There is an immense restlessness and the need to do more and give more. The question, framed by Parker J. Palmer is this:

"What do I want to let go of and what do I want to give myself to?”
I love this poem:


Day ends, and before sleep
when the sky dies down, consider
your altered state: has this day
changed you? Are the corners
sharper or rounded off? Did you
live with death? Make decisions
that quieted? Find one clear word
that fit? At the sun's midpoint
did you notice a pitch of absence,
bewilderment that invites
the possible? What did you learn
from things you dropped and picked up
and dropped again? Did you set a straw
parallel to the river, let the flow
carry you downstream?

No comments: